11.11.2007

my one hundred.

in honor of my 100th blog post, here are 100 things about me. enjoy.

1. i genuinely love the fact that i am content with being on my own.

2. i hope that one day i can have a family of my own.

3. i am grateful for my parents and the examples they are as parents and as a married couple.

4. i love and hate that i have naturally curly hair.

5. i think that i chose to work in youth corrections because i don’t want to have to “grow-up.”

6. i know that everyone thinks that their nieces and nephews are the cutest, but i truly believe that mine literally are the cutest.

7. when i was 18, i went and worked in jackson hole for the summer and when the summer was over, i was adamant about staying and working there for the winter. i’m glad my parents didn’t let me do that. that would have been a train wreck.

8. when i decided one random thursday that i wanted to move to boston, i’m glad that my parents were supportive, including financially. i will never be able to repay them for the actual experience. (maybe one day i can repay them for the financial support.)

9. i haven’t had a job for longer than three and a half years. next year will be three years at my current job and i wonder if i will have the itch to find a new job or if i will feel that i am truly where i am supposed to be.

10. sometimes i feel like my co-workers and i are a bunch of “kids” running a “grown-up” facility and we are just pretending to be “grown-up” and professional. i know this doesn’t make sense to you, but in my head it does.

11. i never thought that i would be living with five boys in the house that i grew up in, but i am grateful for the experience all the same. one day i’m gonna make a great wife…my tolerance level has increased exponentially.

12. i love to cook. you wouldn’t really have known that in the past, but i really have gotten into it recently.

13. although there are a lot of things i wish i wouldn’t have done in my past, i am grateful for the lessons that i learned about life and about myself because i chose to do those things.

14. i try not to be a judgmental person, but sometimes i catch myself being embarrassingly judgmental.

15. i’m a very nosy/curious person. i want to know everything that is going on with everyone at all times.

16. i am the worst procrastinator in the world. seriously. it’s embarrassing.

17. i wish that i had an eighth of the talent that my mother possesses. maybe if i tried a little, i could develop some talent, but then there is that whole procrastination thing.

18. i wish that i would have practiced the piano more when i was taking lessons. i will forever regret not “finishing” piano.

19. i also wish that i would have stayed in the orchestra and continued to play the violin. i decided to drop that class so that i could be in the computer/typing class. everyone cool was in that class and i wanted to be a part of it. at least i have excellent typing skills and computing skills, but i would trade those skills for the ability to play the violin in half a heartbeat.

20. one christmas, because of weather issues, i missed my connection in a mid-western city and had to spend the night there. i was provided with a room and a meal voucher. i was in a hurry to catch the van from the hotel to the airport, so i neglected to tip the waitress at breakfast. to this day, i still feel guilty about that and have never not tipped a server since.

21. i have always thought that i have a low tolerance for pain, but when i look back, i think that i have a higher pain tolerance than most.

22. i am afraid of losing a family member. i’m not sure how i would handle it.

23. i have only ever had three “real” crushes in my life. one when i was 18, one when i was 19 and one when i was 27. i wonder why there weren’t any during those eight years.

24. i always hated that my dad could be called away from us at any moment because of his job. many holidays and special occasions were spent without my dad.

25. but, i love how much my dad loves what he does for work and how much the people he works with love him.

26. i have a sick obsession with music. i have disgusting amounts of it. but i love it all.

27. i still consider my best friend from high school my best friend. even though we haven’t spoken in several years. i know that if and when we do talk, it will be like we haven’t skipped a beat, even though our whole lives have changed drastically. i guess that’s why she is my best friend.

28. i cannot stand chicken-in-a-biscuit crackers and fanta red cream soda together. the thought makes me want to vomit. i ate them everyday for lunch when i was in eighth grade. we were morons.

29. i have a type-a personality. i like things my way and even if i teach you how to do it my way, you still won’t be able to do it right. i am the only person that can do it right.

30. i have “directional dyslexia.” i often confuse my left for my right and my right for my left. sometimes, i have to make an “l” with my hands just to make sure that i am choosing the right hand or the right direction.

31. i think that i have “man hands,” despite my very best effort to make them feminine with acrylic nails.

32. i hate infomercials. but i always get sucked into watching them. especially the knife show.

33. my favorite color changes all the time. so i guess i don’t really have a true favorite color.

34. i wish that i skied more. i wish that i wasn’t such a scaredy baby and was more gutsy on the slopes.

35. even though i chose to throw shot-put and javelin in high school as a way to get out of having to take a real class during fifth hour, i am glad that i did. some of my best memories of high school come from meets at other schools and the bus rides to and from.

36. i believe that i have some sort of adult onset attention deficit something or another. no lie.

37. i pretended to really like phil collins in high school because a boy i liked was a fan. i don’t really like phil collins and i never really have.

38. i went to far too many funerals between the ages of 18 and 25. and they were all for people younger than me or my age.

39. i am an emotional eater.

40. i hate cilantro. i think it tastes like dirty dishwater. not that i have ever tasted dirty dishwater, but i imagine that cilantro tastes like what dirty dishwater would taste like. but if a recipe calls for cilantro, i will add it. just not as much. actually, i add way less than what is called for.

41. i don’t really like rap/hip-hop music. i don’t really get it.

42. i would way rather be cold than hot. it is so much easier to layer than it is to remove. plus, who doesn’t love to bundle up?

43. i lived in boston for two years, but i wish i could have lived there for longer. and i wish i would have taken advantage of living in such an awesome city.

44. i am a television junkie. i don’t have just one favorite show. and if you made me pick my favorite, i don’t think that i could. although, the office would be right at the top if i did have to choose.

45. i want to be able to call myself a runner one day. i try, but i don’t feel like i can call myself that right now. but one day. i’m working on it.

46. i bought an xbox because i wanted to learn how to play halo…but now i don’t really like to play halo.

47. i have very dry skin. during the winter, my hands get cracked and raw if i don’t keep them properly moisturized.

48. i have worn glasses/contacts since i was in the third grade. when i first got my glasses, i didn’t wear them to school because i was embarrassed. i would put them in my book bag on the bus to school and then put them back on when i was on the bus home. i got busted at a parent-teacher conference, though.

49. that parent-teacher conference was the same day that the challenger shuttle exploded. i remember standing in our family room watching it on tv right before we left to go to the school.

50. i really like make-up. not because i think that it improves the way that i look. i like that you can be artistic with it. i’m not artistic with it, but i have friends that are incredible “make-up artists.”

51. i hate to shave my legs. last winter i think i only shaved them once, maybe twice. i might go for the record this year. just kidding.

52. i love to sleep. sometimes i can sleep for disgusting amounts of time. i blame it on my crazy work schedule, but really, it’s just because i love to sleep.

53. i can’t sleep with my feet covered. i have to be able to stick them out the side of my sheets.

54. i love flip-flops. i really do wish that i could wear them all year long. unfortunately, i choose to live where snowy winters exist, so i can’t wear them all year.

55. at work, i correct other people’s typing errors. we have to write daily logs and i edit them because the green and red squiggly lines bother me.

56. i love mail. i love to get mail, especially greeting cards. i love to send them, too.

57. when i floss, i like to make my gums a little sore. it makes me feel like i am getting all the gunk out. i’m sure it’s not good for me, but at least i floss.

58. i have been watching general hospital regularly since 1996. i really like it. sometimes i wish that i could marry a mobster because of sonny corinthos and jason morgan.

59. my type-a personality interferes with my ability to enjoy doing crafts. if i can’t do it perfect, then i don’t want to do it at all. i am going to try and change that.

60. i think that james taylor is one of the most attractive musicians i know. especially back in the seventies.

61. i believe that i was born in the wrong decade. i wish i could have been a teenager/young adult in the mid-seventies.

62. i know there are way more than one hundred things about me, but i am finding it somewhat difficult to put this list together.

63. i am oddly obsessed with surfing. i have never been surfing, nor do i know anyone that actually surfs, but i want to. i am so obsessed that i actually subscribe to a surfing magazine. i keep up on the standings and how it all works.

64. i know even more about the prca. that’s the professional rodeo cowboy association. and one day i hope to go to the nfr in las vegas.

65. i have a great love for acoustic guitar. i attribute this to the fact that my dad plays the guitar and i grew up listening to a lot of folk music.

66. i know that some people find it odd that i grew up a mortician’s daughter, but to me, it is completely normal. i even think it is normal that we played games in the mortuary when we were younger.

67. i think that my grandpa (my mom’s dad) was the most amazing person i have ever known. he was extremely talented and beyond extremely humble. i hope to one day find someone who has his silent strength and talent and humility. good luck to me.

68. stargazing is the most relaxing thing that i can think to do, even on cold nights. i love the stars. when i was 19, i was going to get a tattoo of a shooting star. i didn’t get that tattoo, but if i had to get one, that’s still probably what i’d get. or a star of some sort.

69. when i was about ten, maybe eleven, i stole some chocolate chips from our pantry. they were of the semi-sweet variety. i ate so many of them, i made myself sick. to this day, i hate semi-sweet/dark chocolate.

70. i wanted to be my older sister when she was in high school. she had very “cool” friends and i hoped to one day be like her. she is the reason that i took drama classes in high school. i didn’t get to into it, but i tried.

71. i love hoodies more than is probably legal. i wear them all the time. i need to outgrow this “phase,” but it doesn’t seem to be happening.

72. i was, at times, an ungrateful child. i share my birthday month with two of my sisters and two of my cousins. (my sisters and cousins are all the same age.) i remember one year, they all got “better” gifts than i got and i threw a tantrum. i also threw a tantrum at a christmas party, too. i think we stopped doing gift exchanges after that year.

73. when i was a sophomore in high school, my sister and i were the biggest snots on christmas day. we were both completely upset with every single gift we received. i still believe i had a legitimate reason to be upset about one of my gifts, but i am learning to let it go. jk. i have let it go, but i like to bring it up every now and again because we acted so ridiculous.

74. when i was in high school, we added on to our home. i cried when they had to cut the trees down to lay the new foundation. i guess it’s because i am so sentimental.

75. when my grandma had one of the trees ripped down this year, i didn’t have the same sentimental reaction. i was very angry instead. sometimes she does things that anger me or annoy me. i need to work on understanding her better.

76. as much as i am not proud of some of the things i have done in the past, i will fully admit that i had some good times. some really great times.

77. after years of adamantly stating that i will never have children, i now do not feel that way. even though it is still weird to have a person growing inside of you, i think it is, overall, a pretty incredible experience.

78. i contemplated serving a mission for my church on several occasions. i don’t know what stopped me every time, but i wonder how different my life would be if i had gone.

79. i love the mountains. when i lived in boston, i missed the mountains almost as much as i missed my family

80. i know how to rope. as in “ropin’ calves” rope. i even own my own rope. a friend gave it to me for christmas and she taught me how to use it, too. i have skills.

81. i have a lot of friends that i have lost contact with over the last couple of years and it kind of makes me a little sad. i hear about their whereabouts occasionally through other friends and on myspace (of course), but i wish i was still in contact with them.

82. i considered joining the peace corps a few years ago. i was quite afraid of being sent to a random jungle somewhere, so i decided not to do it. plus, two years is a long time.

83. when my friend jason actually joined the peace corps and moved away to romania, i was a little jealous that he had the guts to follow through.

84. most of the time, i am all talk.

85. i broke my tailbone falling down my stairs this past summer. a few weeks after that fall, i fell again. i think i have done permanent damage to my tailbone.

86. the only broken bones, besides my tailbone, that i have had are a broken ankle and a broken wrist. i broke my ankle playing soccer in ninth grade. i broke my wrist only a couple of years ago, when i fell off of a horse. i didn’t get bucked off, i fell off. and i had my dad and my friend cut my cast off for me…a few days before it was supposed to come off. i was sick of the cast. my wrist hurt worse when the cast came off than when i actually fell and broke it.

87. i love a campfire just as much as the next guy, but i can’t stand the smell of campfire on other people. not too long ago, at work, a young man came in who reeked of campfire and i almost threw up.

88. when i was 18, there was this boy that my sister knew who was annoying and a bit of a jerk. one of my friends and i would regularly egg his house just because he was supposedly annoying (i think i only ever met him once). and we liked the way the eggs sounded when they hit his garage doors. i’m surprised we were never caught by the police. seriously, we did it on a regular basis. mostly when we were bored.

89. if i knew i wouldn’t get caught, i would go toilet-papering or egging tonight.

90. i actually thank my lucky stars daily that i never got in trouble with the law. heaven knows i probably should have several times along the way.

91. i hate going to the dentist. i hate the smells and the sounds. but i really like my dentist.

92. i fully support the second amendment, but i don’t own a gun and i don’t foresee myself going out and purchasing one. i do like the fact that i could if i wanted to, though.

93. i get little warm fuzzies when my dad calls me his “goldilocks.”

94. i worked for a summer as a fuel dock attendant at lake powell. it was one of my most favorite jobs. i worked with a bunch of pot-heads, but i didn’t know that they were at the time. i was a little naïve then.

95. my favorite part of the sunday paper are the sale ads.

96. i love pens. i like to buy all different kinds. right now, my favorite is a brown pilot g-2 07.

97. i love slurpees from 7-eleven. my favorite kind is banana. it reminds me of when i was little and my dad would take us to get slurpees after doing yard work on saturdays.

98. when i was maybe seven or eight, i threw a tantrum for some reason or another and my dad left me at home with my mom and he took my brothers and sisters to get treats. they didn’t even bring anything home for me. it still hurts my feelings a little bit.

99. i love to read. i will read just about anything. i hate to read out loud, though.

100. i have the best family in the world. my parents are incredible (see #3). my sisters are all exceptionally amazing women and i strive everyday to be more like them. my brothers are great examples to me. i love my in-laws very much. i love my nieces and nephews even more. they are my babies. i can’t live without a single one of them. i love that we can have a good time together, doing nothing but visiting. i am truly blessed beyond belief.

3 comments:

  1. wow i now know so much more about you than i did before i read this. and to this list, i have one thing to add: shows true perseverance. i would never have been able to write 100 cool facts about myself.

    i applaud you, my friend. ps...your 100 posts has me by about, um, 47.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I were a guy, I'd want to marry you. Okay, I know that sounded way too weird. You are just so cool! You have so much going for you. I'm glad you aren't a whiner baby! P.S. who was your best friend in high school?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I am Alesa's sister. Sometimes I read your blog (link from Alesa's) because I think you are SO funny! I was shocked as I read these things about you how much we have in common. Funny! Maybe that is why Alesa likes both of us. ;)

    ReplyDelete