11.25.2007

sunday scribblings.

prompt #86: misspent youth.


i was a good kid growing up. seriously, a real good kid. i didn't break the law in high school. i didn't toilet paper or egg any houses. i didn't do drugs. i didn't drink. i was a good kid.

i had great friends. i attribute my straight-and-narrow path to them. and even my friends who were doing those things, they were accepting of me. and i was accepting of them.

and of course, i have amazing parents, who taught me right from wrong, but how to have fun. and even when i did the things they taught me not to do, they were still loving parents. maybe disappointed, but they still loved me and still wanted what was best for me.

i will fully admit that i took advantage of the fact that i had amazing parents who were concerned about me and about my well being. i also took advantage of friends who were good examples. looking back, i will be forever grateful to them for being a part of my life.

working in youth corrections has made a huge impact on me. i've always known that good family and good friends are important, but now i actually get to see that, in fact, good family and good friends are saving graces.

people always ask me why kids end up in the system and i have to respond, unequivocally, that the majority of kids we see in our programs are there because they lack the family structure and good family examples. the impact that bad family examples have on these kids is astounding.

so, i will never again take advantage of the fact that i was surrounded by an amazing family, who were and are incredible examples to me. and the same goes for my friends. what a difference we can all make in each other's lives. let's not misspend any of our time and if we do, let's learn from it.

3 comments:

  1. so true. I found that too when I worked with troubled youth. we are blessed, those of us who can say we were taught well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The power of a good example is much more redeeming than we really know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, for sure. A good example is never bad. Very nice post and a great reminder...

    ReplyDelete