10.19.2008

never thought i'd say it.

i have always thought of myself as the least crafty person in my family. usually, it doesn't matter if you are not crafty. i mean, most people aren't. the only reason that this is difficult for me is because my mom is the most crafty person i know.

and she's not crafty in the sense that she can paint a cute quote on a piece of wood and make it look rustic and all (but trust, she sure can do that). she's crafty in the sense that she can envision a beautiful quilt and then she designs it, picks the most fantastic fabric, cuts it out and pieces it all together and then...ta-da...amazingly beautiful quilt.

she also went through a cross-stitching phase...a phase that included her own business. she designed cross-stitch patterns, made kits and sold them all across the country. the best part of the cross-stitch phase was the name of her company...the graph goose. awesome.

anyway, i guess the reason that i feel like i am the least crafty is because i steered completely clear of all the arts and crafts. don't get me wrong, i know how to whip out a mean cross-stitch sampler...although i tend not to finish them completely (just ask my friends about their wedding gifts...girls, i still have them). and my sisters and i took a sewing class and i can stitch up a useful, but not pretty, piano-book-bag. i guess i steered clear of all the craftiness by not learning anything beyond the basics.

i think i steered clear because i know that there is no way possible that i could be nearly as talented as my mother. i would have to spend every day of the rest of my life working on quilts to even get close to my mother's skill level.

so, with that being said, i think i want to become more crafty. i want to learn how to sew cute dresses for my nieces. and fun gifts for my friends. but i don't really want to invest in a sewing machine, cause what if i don't really like it as much as i think i want to like it. it's somewhat of a conundrum. but there, i said it, i want to learn to sew. and maybe, just maybe, one day i can sew my own quilts, instead of begging my mom to make them for me. i guess we'll see.

4 comments:

  1. I were you I would invest in the good machine from the start. You never know when you will have to sew a heavier fabric, and the cheap machines do not handle that well. Trust me, I have one of those. Have fun being crafty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have a love/hate relationship with my sewing machine.

    will i ever see you again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can do it, you know about my burp cloth fetish... i even have a blog to go with it, krissilus.blogspot.com
    i haven't posted much, but my advice is start easy, it builds confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My amazing mother-in-law gifted me with a very nice sewing machine (she wanted me to learn on a good machine). That was about 2 years ago and the only thing I've sewn thus far is some jammie pants for my kiddos. But I'm with you... I WANT to learn how to sew!

    ReplyDelete